How to Set Up a Webcam
Posted by on 04 May 2011 10:08 AM
1) First, please make sure that your webcam device is plugged in properly to your computer, that it is turned on, and that no button or switch on the actual hardware has set the camera to a mute like state.
2) Please shut down all unnecessary programs running on your computer, especially any that access the webcam. A webcam can only be used by one program at a time and if any others are utilizing it, it will not be available in the meeting room (examples include: Skype, iChat, and any software that came with the webcam).
3) Once you have ensured the webcam is functioning and no other programs that use it are running, please enter a Meeting Room via our software, and make sure that you are not broadcasting (You should see the button in the upper left say Start Broadcasting, not Stop Broadcasting.)
4) Launch the Video Wizard by clicking on the Presentation menu and selecting Video Settings.5)
You should now see a list of webcam devices your computer detects. Click to select the most appropriate one.
Click Next. You should now be at a test screen that will attempt to show the video from this device. If it not detected right away, please go back to the previous window and try the device one more time.
7) If this device does not function, please go back one window and select a different webcam device and try this again, you may have the wrong one selected. Keep repeating steps 5 and 6 for each device until you find one that works.
8) Once you see an image in the test screen, click Finish. You should now be able to click the Start Broadcasting button in the upper-left hand corner in the Presenter window. (You must be a Presenter to see this button.) Participants should now be able to see your broadcast.
This procedure should allow you to get your webcam broadcasting video onto the internet. If you were unable to see the video in the test screen for any of the video devices you selected in step 5, please attempt to verify that your webcam is functioning correctly by visiting another Flash based website such as http://www.testmycam.com/ (Note: We are in no way affiliated with this website or any of the content they provide. It is linked here only as an example of Flash based application which can be used to test your webcam.)
If you are able to verify that your webcam is functioning correctly but are still unable to broadcast video in InstantPresenter, please contact us for further assistance. When contacting us please be sure to provide details, so that we can better assist you.